Sunday, January 27, 2008

typewriters

I have always been obsessed with typewriters. The idea I had initially (with regards to the one listed for 604) was to create a new media collection using an image of a typewriter as the interface/navigation menu.
After talking to Katie I realized my thinking was restricted (by my lack of technological skills) to a computer, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. What if, she asked, I were to wire an actual typewriter (this is a picture of mine) to a screen? Each key could trigger a different short work of images, text, video, art, some combination of these. Now that I can imagine it "out of my comfort zone" I also see a projector, a gallery. You think I've been hanging out with artists too long? Of course, I still have NO CLUE how I would pull this off. But I think I may work on the new media part of the project during the lab. I think it would be cool too if the (w)reader could type words as they clicked on the letters/numbers. Any thoughts?

No comments: